Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Lifestyle Mentor's Support Goes A Long Way

I'd love to share one story from a relatively new lifestyle mentor:

My group currently consists of 3 young ladies and we all are becoming very close. I love it! There is one person that I've been focusing on who I'll call "Mary." Her parents are homeless and they want Mary and her little sister to live with them. Unfortunately this means staying at a motel or in their van in a store parking lot. The kids have been bounced back and forth between their parents and a family that would love to become foster parents to Mary and her sister. Recently Mary had to attend a custody hearing in court, which would decide if Mary and her sister would be able to stay at the foster parent's house for good. I went to court with Mary to give her and her sister support. It was very difficult for Mary because she had to tell the truth about her parents and Mary knew it would expose her parent's faults. Mary had to tell about her parents alcoholism and that they let her and her sister drink with them. It was a very tough time for Mary. We are still waiting to hear what the court's decision is in this heartbreaking situation.

I know God is using me to touch Mary's life. For two weekends in a row Mary has not taken a drink even when her parents offered it to her. She says she does this as a promise to me. Mary also cuts herself and as we've talked about it she has promised to stop that too. Two months ago I couldn't get Mary to talk to me. Now she tells me everything that is going on in her life. It is the same way with the other girls too. Sometimes they give me way too much information but I count it a privilege that they are so open with me. I thank the Lord for giving me this opportunity to serve these girls.

No comments: