Sunday, August 24, 2008

The "Living Missional" Challenge

Our challenge to you is to live missional. Try it. See how it changes your view on life and see if it makes the red letters of Jesus jump off the page. I know it has for me. After all it was he who said, "Come, follow me ... and I will make you fishers of men. (MT 4:19)"

Have you gone man fishing lately? Probably not, but you can - and we are here to help because Jesus also said to "
make disciples. (MT 28:19)" We believe you have what it takes, after all God has given you specific gifts/talents/passions to connect with people. (Mt 25:14-30, Psalm 139: 13-16)

LIVE MISSIONAL, live with intention and purpose. Be invitation and relational Make opportunity of the places you are and the things you love. Dive deep into pursuing relationships with others WITH the goal of LOVING THEM like Jesus did.

Remember, this is what Project Hangout is all about. We are here to help. We have training, resources and people to guide you. You will never feel more gratification than serving your God in the way that His Son did.

Leave your stories as comments. Let's hear about them as we encourage others to live without boarders by following Jesus and being all about relationships.



Project Hangout Testimony from Project Hangout on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Whitney Wagger said...

When the idea of Project Hangout popped into my brain, I thought the way to go was to create a place where students could come, hang out, and build a relationship with Christian young adults. So in the beginning we focused on getting a building. But as time has gone on I have come to realize and now convinced that this ministry is not about a building or a place. It is about constructing a connection with lost and hurting students wherever we can find them (and they are everywhere!). This is how Lifestyle Mentoring came about and what we focus on today. Mentors use their God-given gifts and passions in every day life to bond and build relationships with students. Some day God may bless PHM with a building but in the meantime we will go wherever the students and mentors are to share Christ’s love and Truth.

Dale Hedges – Founder, PHM

The HUB said...

My husband and I came back to the cross after an almost two decade absence from the Catholic Church. We stumbled into a small church in Mission Viejo that was contemporary and not shame based. Our church was the first place to teach me that following Jesus is not found in ritual, rather following Jesus is about the transformation of every part of my life.
I was so grateful for this life saving truth that I served in up to 5 ministries at one time. In one ministry, I served in the children’s rooms teaching toddlers the bible and in another ministry I served on the BBQ team where we created opportunities for our congregation to each together up to 10 times a year. I noticed after a year of serving in each of these ministries, I did not feel fulfilled in the children’s ministry. It was tiring and I did not look forward to being there on Sunday’s. I was filling a “slot” if you will. In contrast, I LOVED serving on the BBQ team. I served on this team for almost 8 years and every time we cooked those burgers, dogs with all the fixins’ I would look at all the people eating because of our hands and my soul felt so happy that I was able to give people the opportunity to talk and laugh together. It was ME who was blessed the most.
About a year after serving in all these ministries, I took a class to access my spiritual gifts and it was no surprise that Hospitality was my third spiritual gift. I simply always have loved feeding and giving people the opportunity to fellowship with food. Jesus demonstrated how important food and fellowship was over and over through out the Bible, especially noted the day before he was handed over to the Romans in the infamous Last Supper. He used bread and wine to represent the cost of his suffering for our sins.
Over a year ago, I went even deeper with my Hospitality Gift. I participated in a Lifestyle Mentoring type project with a small group of high school girls. I invited several girls to my house for three different sessions of cooking lessons. This opportunity allowed me to teach young women the basics of baking and preparing/cooking Italian and Mexican food. After preparing the food and allowing them to “simmer”, we went to the beach to hang and swim for several hours. The highlight was coming back to my house and eating together so the girls could taste the fruits of our labor. We had great conversation, I was able to impart a skill (cooking) that I fear the next generation has not been taught, and mentor these young girls by serving in my gifted area. Many rich conversations resulted from these cooking lessons and once again, I was the one who felt blessed. Lifestyle mentoring is nothing more than serving and preparing the body of Christ with the gifts that lie with in you. Serving has never seemed so easy!

Annie Cardenas, Dana Point